ETSI's Centre for Testing and Interoperability and the OSM community are organizing a new OSM Hackfest on 31 May to 4 June 2021. The event will be run remotely, allowing participants to join from their homes or offices.
Participation to OSM Hackfests is free and open to all upon Registration
Registration deadline is May 15th
The OSM#11 Hackfest will be fully dedicated to Network Function packaging and onboarding to brand new OSM Release TEN NINE (pre-view) bringing a new challenge to OSM users and developers.
During the Hackfest kick off, an overview on NF Onboarding in OSM will be provided by OSM community experts. Participants will be organized in teams based on the Network Function selected at the time of registration. Through the Hackfest week and with the mentoring of OSM community experts, they will be challenged to build a package, including NFV standardized descriptors, instantiation, Day-1 and Day-2 operations, for the NF of their choice. The last day, each team will have the opportunity to demonstrate their achievements and the best onboarding demonstration will be awarded!
Network Functions Examples
Participants can chose one of the Network Functions in this list, or bring their own!
- FreeRadius (CNF or VNF)
- Day 1 operations: initialize and start the service
- Day 2 operations: add user, change passwords
- Demo: have a client auth (freeradius pam)
- PowerDNS or CoreDNS (CNF or VNF)
- Day 1 operations: initialize and start the service
- Day 2 operations: add/remove host entries (cnames)
- Demo: test DNS resolution
- VyOS (VNF)
- Day 1 operations: start the router with networking configured
- Day 2 operations: add/remove firewall or NAT rules
- Demo: test routing and filtering services
- Asterisk (VNF)
- Day 1 operations: initialize and start services
- Day 2 operations: Create SIP account
- Demo: test calls with softphones
Who should attend
- VNF vendors, who want to onboard their VNF in OSM following best practices
- System Integrators, who want to develop their expertise with OSM
- Service Providers, who want to get first hand operational experience with OSM
- Students and Researchers, who are using or considering OSM as platform for their research activities in networking
- OSM users and developers willing to share, learn and test with the community
- Registration is mandatory!
- Participants are expected to be familiar with NFV and SDN concepts and have user-level knowledge of Linux, OpenStack / Kubernetes and the NF they plan to on-board.
- You will need your laptop and good internet access: a remote environment in the OSM Labs will be made available for participants through VPN
- Before the hackfest you can
- Select a network function from the list of examples, or bring your own!
Monday May 31st - Hackfest Kick-off
- 2:00 pm CEST Welcome & Logistics by Silvia Almagia, ETSI
- 2:10 pm CEST Introduction to Network Function Onboarding by Gianpietro Lavado, Whitestack
- 3:25 pm CEST Group Picture!
- 3:30 pm CEST Quickstarts
- 4:45 pm CEST Test Tools & Traffic Generation by Ruben Gutierrez and Oliver Ferch, Keysight
Tuesday June 1st to Thursday June 3rd - Check Points
From Tuesday June 1st to Thursday June 3rd, participants will work on teams to achieve the on-boarding of the NF of their choice. They will communicate among them and with Hackfest mentors on Slack and will meet altogether every day for 1 hour to discuss the on-boarding progress and eventual impediments.
Friday June 4th - Demo day!
On Friday June 4th, each team will have 20 minutes to demonstrate the on-boarding of the NF of their choice to the OSM Community. After the Demos, the OSM Technical Steering Committee (TSC) and Module Development Leaders (MDLs) will debrief and decide on the best on-boarding demo. The winning team will be awarded!!
- 2:00 pm CEST Welcome by Silvia Almagia, ETSI
- 2:10 pm CEST OPC UA Onboarding Demo by Lorenzo Bassi, University of Bologna (Team OPC UA)
- 2:30 pm CEST PowerDNS CNF Onboarding Demo by Vasileios Nikolaos Apostolopoulos and Chris Aslanoglou, Ubitech (Team PowerDNS CNF)
- 2:50 pm CEST FreeRadius CNF Onboarding Demo by David Franco, Jorge Sasiain, Asier Atutxa, University of the Basque Country (Team FreeRadius CNF 1)
- 3:10 pm CEST FreeRadius CNF Onboarding Demo by Mikel Seron, Vicomtech (Team FreeRadius CNF 2)
- 3:30 pm CEST Coffee Break
- 3:40 pm CEST Asterisk VNF Onboarding Demo by Onur Ozenir, Gianni Tumedei, Gyordan Caminatti, Luca Salvigni, Mattia Rossi, University of Bologna (Team Asterisk Unibo)
- 4:00 pm CEST FreeRadius VNF Onboarding Demo by Atif Zaka, T-Mobile (Team FreeRadius VNF)
- 4:20 pm CEST NetNumber CNF Onboarding Demo by Patrik Rokyta and Mohamed El Gamal, NetNumber (Team NetNumber CNF)
- 4:40 pm CEST Asterisk VNF Onboarding Demo by Umut Can Gulmez, Vodafone
- 5:00 pm CEST Awards Debrief by OSM TSC & MDLs
- 5:30 pm CEST OSM#11 Onboarding Challenge Awards
- OSM-MR#10 Hackfest - Remote - March 2021
- OSM#10 Hackfest - Remote - December 2020
- OSM-MR#9 Hackfest - Remote - September 2020
- OSM#9 Hackfest - Remote - June 2020
- OSM-MR#8 Hackfest - Remote - March 2020
- 8th OSM Hackfest - Lucca (Italy) - November 2019
- 7th OSM Hackfest - Patras (Greece) - September 2019
- 6th OSM Hackfest - Santa Clara (CA, USA) - May 2019
- 5th OSM Hackfest - Barcelona (Spain) - February 2019
- 4th OSM Hackfest - Palo Alto (CA, USA) - October 2018
- 3rd OSM Hackfest - Oslo (Norway) - June 2018
- 2nd OSM Hackfest - Madrid (Spain) - March 2018
- 1st OSM Hackfest - Sophia Antipolis (France) - January 2018
Get involved in OpenSourceMANO
- Join the OSM Community Slack Workspace
- If your organisation is already an OSM member, you can also:
- If your organisation is not yet an OSM member:
- Learn how to join, it is free and open to all
- Join the OSM Ecosystem
Questions about ETSI, joining OSM, this hackfest and future events can be sent to: OSMSupport@etsi.org