- 1 Overview
- 2 Scope
- 3 Who should attend
- 4 Prerequisites
- 5 Agenda (CEST)
- 6 Previous Hackfests
- 7 Join us
- 8 Contact
ETSI's Centre for Testing and Interoperability, the OSM Community and the Open Air Interface Software Alliance are organizing a new OSM Hackfest from 13 to 17 September 2021. The event will be run remotely, allowing participants to join from their homes or offices.
Participation in OSM Hackfests is free and open to all upon Registration
Registration deadline is September 3rd
The OSM-MR#11 Hackfest will be fully dedicated to OAI 5G Core Network Functions packaging and onboarding to OSM Release TEN bringing yet a new challenge to OSM and OAI users and developers.
During the Hackfest kick-off, an overview of the OSM NF Onboarding in Guidelines will be provided by OSM community experts. Participants will be organized in teams to collaborate on the onboarding tasks. Through the Hackfest week and with the mentoring of OSM and OAI community experts, they will be challenged to build the packages, including NFV standardized descriptors, instantiation, Day-1, and Day-2 operations, and build a functional 5G Core. On the last day, each team will have the opportunity to demonstrate their achievements and the best onboarding demonstration will be awarded!
OAI 5G Core Network Functions
- Access and Mobility Management Function (AMF)
- Session Management Function (SMF)
- User Plane Function (UPF)
- Network Repository Function (NRF)
- Deployment of OAI 5G Core network functions
Who should attend
- Network Function vendors, who want to learn to onboard their NF in OSM following best practices
- System Integrators, who want to develop their expertise with OSM and OAI
- Service Providers, who want to get a first-hand operational experience with OSM and OAI
- Students and Researchers, who are using or considering OSM and OAI for their research activities in networking
- OSM users and developers willing to share, learn and test with the community
- Registration is mandatory!
- Participants are expected to be familiar with NFV and SDN concepts and have user-level knowledge of Linux, OpenStack, Kubernetes and basic knowledge of the 5G Core Network Architecture.
- You will need your laptop and good internet access: a remote environment in the OSM Labs will be made available for participants through a VPN
- Before the Hackfest you can
- Get familiar with OSM by watching this video or reviewing previous Hackfests' material
- Get familiar with the OSM NF Onboarding Documentation and Quickstart guides
- Get familiar with OAI core network components, their configuration. It will be good if you follow the tutorial on helm chart and other tutorials.
- Tentative: Sessions' details coming soon. Please note the sessions' times and contents may be subject to change
Monday 13 September - Hackfest Kick-off
- Welcome & Logistics by Silvia Almagia, ETSI
- Tasks & Technicalities by Maciej Mazur & Mark Beierl (Canonical)
- OAI 5GC: A cloud-native 3GPP-compliant 5G Core Network by Tien-Thinh Nguyen (EURECOM)
- Deployment options for OAI 5GC core by Sagar Arora (EURECOM)
- Introduction to Network Function Onboarding in OSM by Maciej Mazur (Canonical)
Tuesday 14 to Thursday 16 September - Check Points
From Tuesday to Thursday, participants will collaborate in teams to achieve the packaging and onboarding of the OAI 5G Core Network Functions. They will communicate among them and with Hackfest mentors on Slack and will meet all together every day for 1 hour to discuss the onboarding progress and eventual impediments.
Friday 17 September - Demo Day!
On Friday, each team has 20 minutes to provide a demo of the OAI 5G Core onboarding and share feedback and lessons learnt with the OSM Community.
After the demos, a jury made of OSM & OAI key community members will debrief and decide on the best onboarding demo. All the demos and the winning team will be awarded!!
- OSM#11 Hackfest - NF Onboarding Challenge - September 2021
- OSM-MR#10 Hackfest - Remote - March 2021
- OSM#10 Hackfest - Remote - December 2020
- OSM-MR#9 Hackfest - Remote - September 2020
- OSM#9 Hackfest - Remote - June 2020
- OSM-MR#8 Hackfest - Remote - March 2020
- 8th OSM Hackfest - Lucca (Italy) - November 2019
- 7th OSM Hackfest - Patras (Greece) - September 2019
- 6th OSM Hackfest - Santa Clara (CA, USA) - May 2019
- 5th OSM Hackfest - Barcelona (Spain) - February 2019
- 4th OSM Hackfest - Palo Alto (CA, USA) - October 2018
- 3rd OSM Hackfest - Oslo (Norway) - June 2018
- 2nd OSM Hackfest - Madrid (Spain) - March 2018
- 1st OSM Hackfest - Sophia Antipolis (France) - January 2018
Get involved in OpenSourceMANO
- Join the OSM Community Slack Workspace
- If your organization is already an OSM member, you can also:
- If your organization is not yet an OSM member:
- Learn how to join, it is free and open to all
- Join the OSM Ecosystem
Get Involved in OAI
Questions about ETSI, joining OSM, this Hackfest and future events can be sent to OSMSupport@etsi.org