OSM PoC 9 Open WAN control for multi-site service orchestration
PoC Team Members
- School of Computing & Communications, Lancaster University
All Poc team members are OSM members or participants
- Main contacts:
- Steven Simpson firstname.lastname@example.org
NFV-MANO standards for network service orchestration deﬁne an architecture and a data model that allows an orchestration entity to deploy, dynamically conﬁgure and monitor virtual and physical network functions across virtualized datacenters. Although the model offers extensive details for network function management and host level network conﬁguration, end-to-end connectivity management beyond the datacenter remains limited. The responsibility for cross-site connectivity is delegated to a control abstraction, the WAN Infrastructure Manager (WIM), which is partially deﬁned in those standards. This PoC builds on the Open Source MANO (OSM) WIM plug-in model to orchestrate an open-source multi-point WIM implementation allowing researchers to experiment with multi-site service deployments. Indeed, this PoC features the Data Plane Broker (DPB), which uses an extensive data model to seamlessly translate NFV MANO requirements into SDN conﬁguration, supporting point-to-point and multipoint connectivity with strong bandwidth guarantees. A new WIM connector has been implemented to adapt DPB to OSM Release SIX. Initial experiments highlight that path computation can scale to large network topologies and a large number of services, with negligible computational overheads, while DPB increases by less than 10% the overall deployment delay of an OSM service.
PoC Key Takeaways
- This PoC features OSM orchestrating an open-source multi-point WIM implementation for SDN networks, DPB, which
- Offers hierarchical control of programmable WANs and deﬁnes a detailed WAN control data model
- Supports large network infrastructures and increasing numbers of service requests with small computational overhead.
- Offers the opportunity for further development of multi-site support in service orchestration standardization.
- Thanks to the hierarchical and open design of the data model, offers the opportunity to implement and evaluate alternative distributed path estimation algorithms
- This PoC develops a new WIM connector for OSM, wimconn_dpb.py.
- OSM Release SIX
- Modified Resource Orchestrator (RO) and North Bound Interface (NBI)
- Demo 1: A WIM Plugin for DataPlane Broker (DPB) - 7th OSM Hackfest, Patras, September 2019
- DPB Introduction
- WIM Integration, Configuration & Implementation
- WIM Scaling (CDN use case)
Would you like to see your OSM PoC listed in this wiki? Please follow the instructions in the OSM PoC Framework